Having a good posture is not only good for your overall back health, but a straight spine also radiates confidence and actually makes you feel better.
Here are a few tips on how to improve your posture, and therefore improve your self-esteem:
- Keep the ears, shoulders and hips in alignment. Whether you’re standing or sitting keep these in a vertical line to improve your posture. Resist the temptation to push your head forward; start to notice if your ears are in line with your shoulders and correct if necessary.
- When Sitting – Get a chair with sufficient lumbar support. Your chair’s backrest should have natural curve that fits into the hollow of your lower back. Basically when sitting down your spine should be in contact with the backrest from your tailbone right up to your upper back. Also, keep your feet flat on the floor when seated.
- The Balloon Method. If you don’t have great posture, stand up right now. Now imagine that there is a balloon on a string extending from the crown of your head. Imagine that this balloon is pulling your head upwards towards the sky. You’ll automatically stand upright with your spine elongated. If you keep doing this for a few weeks, the habit will stick and you’ll have corrected your posture.
- Move! If your job or school life involves a lot of sitting around, you’re more likely to slouch. As your muscles tire of being in the same position you’ll begin to slump down. You need more movement. For office jobs, make a habit of getting up and moving, even if just for a minute, once every 30 minutes.
- Develop an Awareness of your Posture. When people try to consciously improve their posture, they can often go for hours with poor posture before even remembering to correct it. This is the power of bad habits. To increase your awareness of the problem, it’s a great idea to keep a visual reminder at the place where you spend most of your time. For example, if you sit at a desk a lot, make a sketch of a stick figure man on a post-it note. Then every time you see this sketch you’ll ask yourself, “How is my posture? Are my ears in-line with my shoulders? Are my feet flat on the floor?”
Alpha Care’s friendly team and on-staff chiropractors are available for same day appointments in each of our four locations. No referrals are needed to make an appointment at Alpha Care. We provide the highest quality treatment for your pain using state of the art equipment. Find your new chiropractor or doctor at one of our four convenient locations or call us today at (843) 824-2273.